Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pickles

Pickles, Pickles, and More Pickles!!!
We planted two pickling cucumber plants not thinking that they'd grow veggies like crazy. We have had cucumbers growing out our ears... Some have been huge and some I've picked before they could get to that size. We borrowed a friend's pressure canner to make all these pickles. Jake and I took the whole evening making these. Once we finished our jar count was 29 jars (quart or larger) and we still had cucumbers to pickle but we ran out of jars. Once I attain some more jars we will be making more. It's been fun finding out who else enjoys pickles and sharing these with them. I must admit that the larger pickles are softer and not truly crisp but they are good on hamburgers or as fried pickles.





1 comment:

Jen said...

I've always wanted to do that! We tried to grow some here but our soil is so bad that they just didn't grow. :( But I've got TONS of quart size jars if you want them. I mostly don't use quarts for canning... only for like peaches or pears. Everything else goes in pints or half-pints cuz I've found they work better for the amount our family currently eats. I'm sure once we're done with babies (or once all the boys are teenagers at once!), we'll use quarts more but for now we aren't quite big enough or hungry enough.