"Self-reliance is a simple concept that encourages each of us to take responsibility for our own needs—physical, emotional, spiritual, social, and economic."
Monday evening we had Family Home Evening in the car. We had gone out to dinner and it was getting late. The kids needed their baths before bedtime (preschool was the next day), brush teeth, scriptures, prayer, and bedtime before 8:30 and it was already late.
Since I knew the next day we would be buying vegetable and fruit plants/trees the next day for our garden I thought a quick discussion about self-reliance and gardening would be the lesson. So we opened with Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam and prayer. Then while driving, I gave a definition about self-reliance and how we are doing just that by growing a garden. We talked about how we will get to plant and watch our food grow. Then after it is big enough we will pick it and eat it for dinner or dessert. We then started talking about the different plants we want to purchase and grow.
Here is our list so far:
Lemon Tree, Apricot Tree, Tomato plants (cherry and big fat ones), Watermelon, Corn, Bell Peppers, Jalapenos, Zucchini, Squash, Carrots, Onions, Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, grapes (already planted from previous owner), Herbs (I don't remember what we bought), and others that I currently don't remember.
After we made our list, which I wrote when we got home, we sang the closing song and had the prayer. I thought it went over pretty well, but I had no idea how well.
So here we are on Friday. Yesterday at an Antique shop we bought an ice cream maker (the old fashion kind with the bucket, and electric mixer. you know... Where you have to put ice and salt around it). We told the kids we'd make it that night but we chose to have a movie night instead. (We watched Puss in Boots). So today Jackson asked to make the ice cream. He and I mixed the ingredients and then Jake and Jackson put it together in the ice and salt. Jake would show Jackson the progress of the ice cream every so often by stopping it and taking off the lid. One time as I walked past the kitchen Jackson said, "Mom, we are being self-reliant. We don't have to go to the ice cream store anymore. We can make our own. We are being self reliant". I started to cry and gave him a BIG hug. It tells me that he DOES get it. I am touched by his sweet spirit and thoughtful expressions.
Since I knew the next day we would be buying vegetable and fruit plants/trees the next day for our garden I thought a quick discussion about self-reliance and gardening would be the lesson. So we opened with Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam and prayer. Then while driving, I gave a definition about self-reliance and how we are doing just that by growing a garden. We talked about how we will get to plant and watch our food grow. Then after it is big enough we will pick it and eat it for dinner or dessert. We then started talking about the different plants we want to purchase and grow.
Here is our list so far:
Lemon Tree, Apricot Tree, Tomato plants (cherry and big fat ones), Watermelon, Corn, Bell Peppers, Jalapenos, Zucchini, Squash, Carrots, Onions, Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, grapes (already planted from previous owner), Herbs (I don't remember what we bought), and others that I currently don't remember.
After we made our list, which I wrote when we got home, we sang the closing song and had the prayer. I thought it went over pretty well, but I had no idea how well.
So here we are on Friday. Yesterday at an Antique shop we bought an ice cream maker (the old fashion kind with the bucket, and electric mixer. you know... Where you have to put ice and salt around it). We told the kids we'd make it that night but we chose to have a movie night instead. (We watched Puss in Boots). So today Jackson asked to make the ice cream. He and I mixed the ingredients and then Jake and Jackson put it together in the ice and salt. Jake would show Jackson the progress of the ice cream every so often by stopping it and taking off the lid. One time as I walked past the kitchen Jackson said, "Mom, we are being self-reliant. We don't have to go to the ice cream store anymore. We can make our own. We are being self reliant". I started to cry and gave him a BIG hug. It tells me that he DOES get it. I am touched by his sweet spirit and thoughtful expressions.
Here are some pictures of the garden in progress

2 comments:
Beautiful backyard!
I love it when they do stuff that shows you that they are getting your lessons!! It helps you get through the days when they just don't seem to be listening to anything you say! Great garden plan! We just planted peas in our backyard and I'm planning on taking them out to plant a few other seeds soon - maybe some lettuce or carrots. If you have the primary songs on CD there is one called The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden (it's in the orange section at the back of the book) that would be another great song for a follow-up lesson.
Post a Comment